Brown University this fall added Chinua Achebe to the faculty of the Africana Studies Department. Achebe is a radical postcolonial writer from Nigeria who is most famous for denouncing Joseph Conrad as a “bloody racist” and claiming his book Heart of Darkness – universally regarded as one of the classics of Western literature – celebrates the dehumanization of Africans. What’s worse is that Brown says this is a sign of more to come. Click here to read the press release from the Foundation for Intellectual Diversity, calling upon Brown to rethink its focus on Africana Studies. The Providence Journal news blog also picked up this story.
- Deepwater forgot to read PBN
- Windy Pork
- Just in (no surprise): voters want more choice and accountability in education
- Another low ranking for RI
- Tax Day Rally
- Somebody has to sell it
- In case you missed it, and so you don’t
- Too risky for me but not for thee?
- ‘There are lies, damn lies – and statistics.’
- From our friends in the US House