As if the idea of giving raises during a time of recession, when so many are already unemployed, wasn’t already offensive enough, Providence firefighters are getting ‘retroactive raises.’ Today, The Providence Journal is reporting on its blog that the Providence firefighters unions have been awarded retroactive pay raises: 2.5 percent for 2005 to 2006 and 3.5 percent for 2006 to 2007. Buy hey, at least Mayor David Cicilline stood up to the union and denied their request for an increase in personal leave. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never gotten a ‘retroactive raise’ let alone even heard of one. A quick Google search indicates that this practice is exclusive to public sector workers, so I guess that’s one more thing we can add to the union grab bag of goodies, along with sick bonuses, raises on raises, and cash awards to teachers who don’t take free health insurance.
- Deepwater forgot to read PBN
- Windy Pork
- Just in (no surprise): voters want more choice and accountability in education
- Another low ranking for RI
- Tax Day Rally
- Somebody has to sell it
- In case you missed it, and so you don’t
- Too risky for me but not for thee?
- ‘There are lies, damn lies – and statistics.’
- From our friends in the US House