As the above chart from the Mercatus Center shows, the financial liabilities incurred by the federal government involve much more than just the current U.S. debt. According to the Mercatus Center, balance sheet liabilities total $14.1 trillion. In addition to that amount, the new present value of the scheduled Medicare and Social Security benefits over the next 75 years is $52.1 trillion. In all, the Mercatus Center estimates federal commitments are a whopping $66.3 trillion – and this is before we take into account the impact of the health care reform bill. For all the details and analysis, click here.
- Deepwater forgot to read PBN
- Windy Pork
- Just in (no surprise): voters want more choice and accountability in education
- Another low ranking for RI
- Tax Day Rally
- Somebody has to sell it
- In case you missed it, and so you don’t
- Too risky for me but not for thee?
- ‘There are lies, damn lies – and statistics.’
- From our friends in the US House